Woodslore, Weeds, and Wildwoods Wisdom Walk with Doug Elliott
May 13 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
About Woodslore with Doug Elliott
Whether he’s pointing out poison ivy, pontificating on possums, extolling the virtues of dandelions, pondering the “nature” in human nature, telling wild snake tales, or wailing out a jivey harmonica tune, beloved Firefly Gathering elder Doug Elliott is known for his lively storytelling presentations as well as his broad, practical, scientific and cultural knowledge of the natural world. He will be leading a fun, educational ramble focusing on the useful and interesting wild plants as well as birds, insects and other critters we encounter. You will hear stories, songs, lore and natural history fact stranger than fiction on this plant walk. His program is flavored with regional dialects, lively harmonica tunes and more than a few belly laughs.
In this class, Doug will:
- Share stories and songs from his decades of experience as a naturalist
- Identify plants, birds, insects, and other creatures the class encounters
- Share cultural and scientific lore about local ecosystems
- Make us laugh!
Doug Elliott Workshop Details
This class will be held outdoors on Saturday, May 13, 2023 from 1pm – 4pm in Weaverville, NC.
This class is for everyone. Bring snacks and water. Minimum age is 10, persons under age 16 must be accompanied by paying adult.
About Doug Elliott
Doug Elliott (he/him) is a naturalist, herbalist, storyteller, basket maker, back-country guide, philosopher, and harmonica wizard. For many years he made his living as a traveling herbalist, gathering and selling herbs, teas, and remedies. He has spent a great deal of time with traditional country folk and indigenous people, learning their stories, folklore and traditional ways of relating to the natural world. In recent years he has performed and presented programs at festivals, museums, botanical gardens, nature centers and schools throughout the world. He has led ranger training sessions for the National Park Service, guided people on wilderness experiences throughout the country, and was named a harmonica champion at Fiddler’s Grove Festival. Doug is the author of five books, many articles in regional and national magazines, and a number of award winning albums of stories and songs. He is occasionally seen on PBS-TV, and the History and National Geographic Channels.
The National Storytelling Network (the largest storytelling membership organization in the world) inducted Doug into their Circle of Excellence for “exceptional commitment and exemplary contribution to the art of storytelling.” The International Herb Association presented him with the Otto Richter Award honoring his work with herbs and useful wild plants. The National Association for Interpretation (the professional organization of park rangers, naturalists, museum curators, etc.) gave him the Master Front Line Interpreter Award for his “mastery of interpretive techniques, program development, and design of creative projects” celebrating the natural world and our human connection to nature. You can find more about Doug on his website dougelliott.com.
Equitable Pricing Model $65 – $25
In order to make our workshops more accessible, we offer two price options for each class, with an additional Equity Discount for qualifying individuals. Please consider these options and select your price at checkout.
- Sponsor Price $65: For those who have enough to share, thank you for being a Sponsor. This is an opportunity to contribute towards the cost of the class for someone else.
- Standard Price $45: The Standard reflects one person’s share of what it costs to produce the class and cover basic expenses.
- Equity Discount $25: We offer an additional Equity Discount for those from the following communities who support reparations and/or an equitable redistribution of wealth and would not have access to this workshop without this discount:
- Indigenous or Native American, Black, Latino/a/x
- Other peoples of the global majority, or racialized communities
- Ethnicities underrepresented in the Southeastern earthskills community
Thank you for helping transform the world into a culture of abundance, resilience, and opportunity for all.
Which Price Option is Right for You?*
*Please check your pricing options before you register for your first Perennial Workshop. The pricing options are the same for all events, so you only need to do it once!