- This event has passed.
Fungi & Wild Mushroom Identification Walk with Luke Cannon
August 4 @ 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Join Luke Cannon in discovering the astounding world of wild mushrooms and fungi on this forest walk near Asheville, NC! More than a botanist, Luke Cannon is a long-time pursuer and teacher of our astounding natural world. His passions to study the ecological intricacies of our living Earth have led him throughout the Americas and across the globe.
In this class you will wander the woods with Luke and:
- Find fabulous fungi and learn mushroom identification techniques
- Learn safety tips and precautions in relation to fungi as a wild food
- Hear about the surprising intricacies of mushroom ecology and how fungi are integral to healthy forest systems
- Discuss ethical harvesting practices and more!
Fungi are key to the ecology of our forests, breathtaking to behold, fun to find, and beyond fabulous in both nutrition and flavor. Come get to know some of the most exciting life forms on our planet with one of our most beloved Annual Firefly Gathering Instructors.
Wild Mushrooms Walk Details
This class will be held outdoors on Friday, August 4, 2023 from 10am – 4pm near Asheville, NC (within an hour’s drive).
This class is for beginners to intermediate foragers. Minimum age is 12, all persons under age 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What folks should bring:
- Clothes for hiking and sitting in the forest, on and off trail.
- A magnifying glass and a basket.
- Lunch and water.
- Feel free to bring a mushroom guide if you would like.
About the Instructor
More than a botanist, Luke Cannon is a long time pursuer and teacher of our astounding natural world. Over the last two decades, Luke has instructed numerous wilderness awareness programs and led hundreds of classes, walks and workshops.
An avid naturalist, he blends biological studies with ecology, animism, permaculture, survival skills, rural homesteading, and experiential education. He has taught for the North Carolina Arboretum, the Blue Ridge Audubon Society, Organic Growers School, the Finger Lakes Native Plant Society, the Asheville Mushroom Club, Wild Abundance, and the Appalachian School of Holistic Herbalism to name a few. In 2011 he founded Astounding Earth – dedicated to helping people deepen their relationships with the our living planet.
Luke currently lives in the mountains of North Carolina studying, teaching and living Appalachian Ecology and Animism. He offers regular public walks and workshops to share his knowledge and love of local plants, birds, mammals, mushrooms and ecology. Find out more at: www.AstoundingEarth.com
Equitable Pricing Model $105 – $35
In order to make our workshops more accessible, we offer two price options for each class, with an additional Equity Discount for qualifying individuals. Please consider these options and select your price at checkout.
- Sponsor Price $105: For those who have enough to share, thank you for being a Sponsor. This is an opportunity to contribute towards the cost of the class for someone else.
- Standard Price $70: The Standard reflects one person’s share of what it costs to produce the class and cover basic expenses.
- Equity Discount $35: We offer an additional Equity Discount for those from the following communities who support reparations and/or an equitable redistribution of wealth and would not have access to this workshop without this discount:
Thank you for helping transform the world into a culture of abundance, resilience, and opportunity for all.
Which Price Option is Right for You?*
*Please check your pricing options before you register for your first Perennial Workshop. The pricing options are the same for all events, so you only need to do it once!