Bike Clinic II: Lets Stop! DIY Brake Overhaul
Join Matty of The ReCyclery for an ongoing workshop series empowering you to maintain and repair your own bicycle. We believe that all people should have access to working bikes as a means of sustainable transportation. Whether you are looking for improved mobility, reducing your carbon footprint, or being more active, we are happy to be a part of your journey!
Bike Clinic Series
The first part of each class will consist of hands-on lessons and demonstrations by Matty. In the second part, each student will work on their own bikes, applying what you’ve just learned with the help of Matty’s presence and guidance. Any remaining time will be open to Q&A and bike musings.
Each workshop focuses on a different part of bicycle maintenance and repair. Next up in our Bike Clinic series:
- I – Bike Maintenance – Sunday, August 15, 2 – 5 pm: Workshop will cover flat repair, proper lubrication, full pre-ride safety check, including brakes, derailleurs, torque specs and proper bicycle sizing.
- II – Brake Overhaul (register below) – Sunday, September 19, 2 – 5 pm: Workshop will cover how to make your bike stop, including different brake assemblies and how to set them up and maintain them.
- III – Shifting Overhaul – Sunday, October 24, 2 – 5 pm: Workshop will cover shifting assemblies and how to set them up and maintain them because, well, we live in the mountains!
Bike Clinic II Details
Bike Clinic II: Brake Overhaul will take place on Sunday, September 19 from 2 pm to 5 pm, located at 90 Biltmore Ave. behind and beneath the French Broad Food Co-op in downtown Asheville.
We have space for 10 folks to have their bikes in a stand and get their hands dirty, and room for others who want to watch, whether you didn’t bring a bike or are waiting for a spot on a work stand.
About the Instructor
Matty Semkowich was a big city bike messenger for many years and during that time learned how to fix and build his own bikes. He’s taught bike classes at schools in Oakland, CA and Vancouver, B.C. For the past 9 years has been volunteering at the Asheville Bike ReCyclery.
Sliding Scale Pricing: $50-$15
To engage in mutual community support, consider the options below and select your ticket price at checkout. You can find the sign up form below. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
*Please note that the fee is per class and you must register for each class separately. Thank you!
- Sponsor Price $50: For those who have enough to share, this is an opportunity to contribute towards the cost of the class for someone else.
- Standard Price $35: Reflects what it costs to cover basic expenses.
- Equity Discount $15: Offered to those who are owed amends for generations of physical, cultural, spiritual and institutional harm. If you are from a racialized community and could use the discount, then this price tier is for you.
No one will be turned away from our Bike Clinic Series for lack of funds, so please contact us if money is an obstacle.